+ 1. The YSI Innovation program
Online: March 25th - August 12th * In Oslo, Norway: August 12th - August 26th
The aim is for you and your team to create a real startup that helps solve the sustainable development goals and are economically viable. Brilliant individuals are put in international teams of three people, and will go through 5 modules and 10 objectives in 5 months. 4,5 months is online and the two last weeks is in Oslo, Norway where you get a fully funded trip to meet mentors, your teammates and investors.
Our program offers knowledge and tools in innovation, creativity and leadership. We train the teams to operate their own startups, as well as going from nothing to a fully fledged startup in 5 months. We provide close mentorship and follow up through our innovation team, access to the YSI network of talents, partners and mentors. We also train the team's to find the necessary information and help they need for themselves. The program will be facilitated online, primarily using an education platform named www.novoed.com.
Team and leadership (Objective 1 - 2)
-Understand, communication and trust
Research and Empathize (Objective 3-4)
Ideation and conceptualization (Objective 5-6)
Re-shape, Retest, Repeat (Objective 7-8)
-MVP-test/Market-validation + pitch
-Re-shape and test more
Build brand and prototype (Objective 9-10)
-Brand and full shape
-Prototype and action plan
More about the program Here!
+ 2. Application process
From January 15th - February 15th you can apply through our form found on our website www.ysiglobal.com/apply-now/ for round 1.
You apply as an individual, and you do not apply with ideas but rather who you are as a person and your previous accomplishments.
- Further round 2: February 20th - February 28th
- Round 3: March 5th - March 10th. Round three we will continue with the core YSI team, with expert help, picking out the a group to interview. If you are called in to an interview you are on of the absolute last ones left to be chosen to the program. The interview is for us to ensure that you are the right fit for the program, as well as making sure we are the right fit for you. Criterias for applying is not shared in details, because it will influence your answer. We are however giving some overview of who we are looking for.
+ 3. Who are we looking for?
“I don’t want to start another company until I find a problem that I care about. A problem that I eat, sleep and breathe. A problem worth solving.
—Charlie Guo, cofounder of FanHero
- Between 16-25 years of age.
- All countries can apply
- People with 15-25 hours to use every week from April-August.
- Dedicated people with a real drive for solving the world problems.
- People who are willing to make time and wants to create a real startup.
- People with a proven track record of excellence in resilience, drive, and who are passionately able to use their skills and knowledge towards a project of any kind.
- Open minded people who are willing to understand different walks of life, see things in a new perspective, and with an intention of creating a positive impact.
- People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, and bold enough to actually do it.
- People who doesn't get discouraged by creating a startup remotely with new people from different continents.
- People who can make decisions and keep their cool under extreme uncertainty.
+ 4. BENEFITSWhat do you get
YSI programs are 100% free for all participants and it is a fully funded trip to Oslo, including flight, accomodation and food. You will live in Oslo for two weeks in August.. It does however take a lot of time, and it's expected to use between 15 and 35 hours each week from April 2nd - August 26th.
- All expenses covered (Flight, food and accommodations) and trip to Norway
- Meet the entrepreneurial community of Oslo, Norway!
- Learn about and get training in creativity, innovation, teamwork, and leadership.
- Mentors, access to investors, and some of the best talents under 25 years in the world in your team.
- Learn about innovation, creativity, and entrepreneurship through action and our curriculum.
- A golden chance to create a real startup tackling the sustainable development goals.
- Learn to work online, with a diverse team
- Get access to a huge network of young talents and a community of driven people.
After the program we follow up to ensure that your startup hits the ground running.
+ 5. How did it go last year?
Xyla Water is a social startup founded to defy the challenge of affordability in providing clean drinking water to masses. By providing affordable, biodegradable and suitable water filters.(Xyla Water filter was developed and prototyped at MIT.)
HeatGrade aims to mass-measure heat loss in low rise buildings – commercial and residential - to save money and emissions. Our product provides a non-invasive way to measure the efficiency levels of towns and cities with the aim of improving homeowner awareness and council/community awareness of building efficiencies.
Decdis uses a variety of data sources and our own proprietary artificial intelligence algorithm to provide accurate, actionable, real time health data to people within closed environments to halt the spread of disease. We’re launching in the workplace, providing office specific recommendations to HR departments, helping them implement proactive measures that increase overall productivity and keep employees healthy and happy.
We also have a cool team from our 20 under 20 conference in 2016:
Video is here
Pictures are here
Such detail! Much Program. Please click this presentation to read further details.
During 5-month you will go through team building, design thinking,
and a prototyping process, before arriving Oslo,
Norway in August 2018.
YSI is experimental, and perhaps the most exciting experiment that I have been through. It was a crazy ride living the intense 5 months start-up life, and I am all in to go on with it. That is also the reason why I have agreed to work on YSI local expansions, and of course to work on my Heat Grade project related to SDG of Sustainable Cities.
-Participant at YSI Global 2017
The goal is to create a real startup focused on
solving one or more of the sustainable development goals.
Read about the sustainable development goals here: https://sdgcompass.org/